15 March 2009

Puzzles have taken the spot of trains as William's most recent obsession. We went to White Horse Toys on Saturday (that place is wonderful!!), and bought a puzzle more challenging than those we already had. Today, he finished his new 63-piece puzzle all by himself! He was soooo proud. He camps out at the dining room table and sings quietly to himself (songs about letters, of course) while piecing together the puzzle. He even seems to be dreaming about puzzles! Michael gets William out of bed each night to go potty before we go to sleep, and a couple nights ago, William asked (still asleep, but going potty), "Where could this one go?"


William's reading and spelling are also really taking off. He can (slowly) read simple books to us and up to five letter words, such as "dress," "brush," "shirt," "brick," etc.! I wish we had a way to post video on our blog... it's pretty cute hearing him sound out the words. Almost anytime we're in the car, he asks to "do letters and words," meaning I give him a word (such as "sun," or "wish," or "chip," etc.) and he sounds it out and then spells it for me. He will eye paper bags and plastic bottles and signs on buildings and sound out the letters... not always knowing or getting the words, but his mind seems always to be thinking about these things. Yesterday, on my way back up from visiting my good friend Jen in Tacoma, I told/convinced him that some quiet time would be good for all of us. He can be a very intense child!! Findlay has started imitating him, looking at a book (or anything he's holding with words on it) and acting like he is sounding out words, saying "ah-ah-ah"... I am glad he is paying attention... I sure hope some of it is sinking in!

A few people have asked curiously where we found the name Plaxico and/or if we are still considering it... I guess my goofiness doesn't always portray very well in my blog writing! Plaxico Burress is a reckless, gun-toting football player for the New York Giants... someone we won't be naming any sons after :) BUT... baby boy #3 does have a name: Tate Nicholas! We are happy to have finally settled on one so we can all start calling him by it. "Tate" was what we were thinking early on in my pregnancy, before we knew the baby was a boy, but a few things (i.e. critical comments) made me a little resistant to it for a while (I've put them aside--but no wonder so many people keep names a secret until the end!). When we found out it was another boy, I told Michael he could choose... and after much deliberation, Tate it is! And no, he will not ever be called Tater Tot... Mom!!

Some Findlay pictures...



FYI:
Although it looks like it, I did not curl Findlay's bangs under for these next two!
Findlay LOVES playing with William, even when he's about to be bopped on the head.

2 comments:

Coleson & Tate said...

Yay for a name! (for obvious reasons I think it's a good one!)
Two Tate's will be joining the world in a few months!

The White House said...

I found a rock in my driveway one day with "TATE" written on it. Months later I met Tate, who happend to live a couple of houses over and I told him about it. He wanted to know where it was. So I showed him and he said he remembered that rock and wondered where it went. And that is my story about "Tate".

I think it's an adorable name!