31 August 2009

Michael's fellowship party, 29th of August

We had a big adults'-only (plus babies) party on Saturday to celebrate Michael completing his designation. About fifty friends/family who have supported and encouraged us over the years were able to join us; we had a great time! Michael's parents helped TREMENDOUSLY; there is no way I could have pulled it off without their help. Kay made such a variety of food (and my sister-in-law, Amy, brought some too) and we worked much of Friday and all day Saturday setting up and getting ready. (Thank you again, Jim and Kay!!!)

I didn't get nearly enough pictures during the party... I was too busy socializing and filling my plate with food (to then lose it and start again).

Jim and Kay, my cohosts (Michael's parents) Emma, my little sister, with William...admiring Tate
(before William and Findlay went to a babysitter's house)

Michael's cake from Borrachini's (the cake he knew about prior to the party)... the colorful blobs are balloons (not pom-poms)
a sweet gift to Tate, from our good friends The Giles!
(William and Findlay were each given one too)

my cute little sister, Emma

Tate, grasping Uncle Brent's finger

Tate, being held by Uncle Brent
Anya with Michael Hartshorn, FCAS!
Jeremy, Jim, Trevor, and Michael
-----------------------------
Our Calculator Cake

I was sneaky and asked Michael which of the TI calculators he used for his exams (claiming that my good friend, Heather, who is studying for the second actuarial exam, wanted to know) and then had Mike's Amazing Cakes sculpt a replica for the party. Their company is appropriately named! Check out their website--their cakes are incredible!

We had the cake on display all evening and then dug into it the next day.
the cake next to the real thing



5 comments:

Jen Green said...

Anya, Ohhh Myyyy Gooooodddnessss! That calculator cake is AWESOME & AMAZING. And it should be because it came from Mike's Amazing Cakes. Now the hard part, did it taste amazing too? Lola was in shock, she said, "It's a calculator!". I sure wish we could have come to the party to celebrate with you. I miss your family. I want to squeeze Tate's precious cheeks and see all 3 boys together. We could to a perfect boy girl boy girl boy picture with our children all lined up on the stairs. I'm looking forward to talking to you soon.
PS- I'm pretty sure my verification word was the German "S" word.

Coleson & Tate said...

Awesome cake Anya! I just thought to check your blog as I sit here enjoying some icecream and got all caught up! I need to write you back, I know you have been busy, too with the party (which looked wonderful-good job!) I just havent sat to do it. agh. I will! I have been trying to keep up on things around here and it seems we have been busy with activities and such, too. Tate is doing really well and we had our first full evening with no colic today! Yeah! Hoping and praying that we are on the road to better evenings, completely (they have been getting better over the last couple weeks...) he is just a treasure any other time though, smiles galore! anyhow...talk with you soon!

Alissa said...

Wow, that cake is AMAZING!!!! Seriously, one of the best looking cakes I've ever seen! Was it good? ;) Love all your new pictures too - the boys are getting so big!!! Oh, and congratulations to Michael!!

Unknown said...

The cake is indeed fabulous and it looks like the party was a hit! I love the onesie too!! Congratulations to Michael and it is such an exciting time for all of you. I love you guys and wish I could have been there to celebrate!

Timothy Isaacson said...

WHOA!!!